Frequently Asked Questions
- What is When Calls the Heart?
- A romantic, fictional, period drama that runs on the Hallmark Channel. It’s the perfect blend of the shows “Christy” and “Dr. Quinn: Medicine Woman” with the family morals of “Little House on the Prairie”. It begins in Canada in 1910 with a very wealthy young woman named Elizabeth Thatcher taking a teaching post in a poor coal mining town. A new Mountie Constable named Jack Thornton arrives about the same time…and you’ll have to watch the show if you want to find out more. J And you may not want to read past #5 until after you’ve watched a lot of it. SPOILERS AHEAD!
2. What is a Heartie?
- Heartie is a fan of When Calls the Heart, ranging from a pitter-pat to full cardiac arrest <3
3. Who are the creators?
- The novel on which the TV series is based was written by Janette Oke. The show was developed by none other than Michael Landon Jr., son of “Little House” star and executive Michael Landon. Some of the other executive producers are: Jimmy Townsend, Brad Krevoy, and Brian Bird (affectionately dubbed “Papa Heartie”).
4. Who are the Stars?
- The well-loved veteran stars are Lori Loughlin and Jack Wagner. The stars who play the main characters are talented Hallmark regulars Erin Krakow and Daniel Lissing. The circle comes around beautifully with the amazing Canadian actors Pascale Hutton and Kavan Smith.
5. Where is When Calls the Heart filmed?
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada on a beautiful family-owned farm.
6. Why watch When Calls the Heart?
- The simple answer is because it’s clean. There is so much smut on TV today: language, sex, violence, crudeness. It’s refreshing to watch something moral for a change, and I don’t have to shoo my kids from the room. They actually love to watch with me! The more in – depth answer is the screen chemistry. The whole ensemble works well together, and it’s such a pleasure to watch all the characters’ quirks, bantering, and interactions. Elizabeth with the children is just a tender sight! But the best part is this: I have never seen chemistry like Daniel’s and Erin’s. They have this amazing ability to express the passion the characters have for each other without letting it get sexual or lustful. And when it’s over, you’re left with such a peaceful, feel-good feeling, you can’t help but go back for more. It’s the only show I’ve watched ALL the way through more than twice.
7. What is my favorite season? Episode?
- My favorite season is #3. It doesn’t have the nervous tension of #1 that’s so fun to watch, but I really loved watching Jack and Elizabeth in a comfortable relationship. My favorite episode is Season 4 Episode 7, for very obvious reasons. If you’ve watched the show, you know exactly what I mean. If you haven’t, get that far, then we’ll talk.
8. Which is my Favorite character of When Calls the Heart? Actor?
- At the risk of sounding like a stereotypical teenage groupie, my absolute favorite character is Jack Thornton, and my favorite actor is the man who plays him: Daniel Lissing. Jack is, to put it bluntly, the perfect man. He’s fictional, so I can say that. He’s honorable and heroic, thoughtful and romantic, humble and artistic, smart and quick witted, and honestly, very easy on the eyes. I’ve been super impressed with Daniel’s acting ability. He becomes the character with everything in him; no surface acting with this one. (I studied acting in college, and I’ve seen LOTS of surface acting over the years.) The other thing is he has a very thick Australian accent, but one would never know. He has a Canadian/American accent down cold. My mom remarked once how natural he looked, and I reminded her that he was working harder than anyone on set to cover the accent AND stay in character. He’s just talented, plain and simple.
9. How often do I post?
- Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. There is a theme and hashtag for each post. When we have a new member to spotlight, it’ll be #MeetYouMonday. When the season is running, we’ll talk about Sunday’s episode on #MondayMusings. When neither is happening, we’ll have #MomentMonday, and pick a moment(s) to discuss. #WonderWednesday is when we can talk about other films or shows the actors are in, what’s happening in their lives, WCTH fan theories, anything we’re wondering about. Friday will be #FlashbackFriday when we talk about past seasons and episodes, or #FanFictionFriday when I’ll post some short stories. Let me know if YOU have one you want me to post.